Summertime in New Hampshire is finally here. For many homeowners, this means it is time for vacation. However, forgetting to secure your home when you leave may have bigger consequences than forgetting your toothbrush. Follow these 10 tips to make sure your home is protected before you hit the road so you and your family can enjoy a worry-free getaway.
- We’re here to help. Ask a trusted neighbor to keep an eye on your home while you’re gone and give them our Insurance Center Contact Card. Click here to download. In case of an emergency, they can notify our office and we can begin providing necessary aid even before you return. It’s also a good idea to give your neighbor a way to reach you while you’re away.
- If you already have a security system in place, notify the alarm company that you’ll be away.
- Maintain the exterior of your house. Have someone mow the lawn, collect your newspapers, and clean the pool if you have one. It’s a good idea to stop the mail completely. (USPS can do this for you here.) The more “lived-in” your property looks, the less vulnerable it will be to burglars.
- Cut or trim overhanging branches that could cause damage in strong wind or provide a means of entrance for an animal or an agile intruder.
- If you don’t choose to have someone you trust stay in your house while you’re away, set timers on your lights, including exterior lights. Some systems can even connect with your smartphone.
- Lock everything. All windows, doors, and garages should be locked and curtains should be closed. Put away all spare keys you may have hidden outside. No matter how clever your hiding spot is, it is better not to take any chances.
- If you leave valuables at home, lock them away in a safe.
- Disconnect unnecessary electronics (TVs, stereos, etc.) in case of a power surge.
- Don’t leave portable GPS systems in your cars. If your car has a built-in GPS feature, set your home address to something different, so a burglar can’t use it to navigate to your house.
- As tempting as it is to show your social media friends how much fun you’re having while you’re on vacation, wait until you return home to post photos from your trip. Even if your profile is private, it’s important to make sure the wrong person doesn’t get tipped off to your absence.
You can start protecting your home right now by downloading your Insurance Center Contact Card here. For more information on how we can help safeguard your important investments, speak with an Insurance Center agent at one of our locations or visit our website: www.insurancecenterinc.com.